Heartworm disease is a severe and potentially fatal condition that affects dogs. It is caused by a parasitic worm called Dirofilaria immitis, which is transmitted through the bites of infected mosquitoes. Prevention is the best approach to avoiding heartworm disease, and one of the most effective ways to protect your furry friend is by using Heartgard Plus. This article will discuss everything you need to know about Heartgard, including its benefits, how to use it, and where to buy it.
Benefits of Heartgard Plus:
Heartgard is a monthly chewable tablet specially formulated to prevent heartworm disease in dogs. It contains ivermectin and Pyrantel, a medication that kills the immature heartworm larvae that may have been transmitted to your dog. Heartgard is easy to administer and available in different sizes, depending on your dog's weight. Here are some of the benefits of using Heartgard:
- Effective: Heartgard has been clinically proven to be effective in preventing heartworm disease in dogs.
- Convenient: Heartgard is a once-a-month chewable tablet that is easy to administer. You can give it to your dog as a treat or mix it with their food.
- Safe: Heartgard is safe for dogs of all breeds and has minimal side effects. However, it is always important to consult with your veterinarian before giving any medication to your dog.
- Additional Protection: In addition to protecting your dog from heartworm disease, Heartgard protects against certain intestinal parasites.
How to Use Heartgard:
Using Heartgard is easy and only takes a few minutes each month. Here are the steps to follow:
- Check the weight of your dog to determine the appropriate dosage.
- Give your dog the Heartgard chewable tablet as a treat or mixed with their food.
- Repeat the process every month, preferably on the same day, to ensure maximum protection.
It is essential to follow the recommended dosage and frequency to ensure that your dog is adequately protected against heartworm disease.
How Does Heartgard Work?
Heartgard is a chewable tablet that is easy to administer to your dog. Once your dog ingests the tablet, the active ingredient ivermectin enters its bloodstream. When an infected mosquito bites your dog, the larvae of the heartworm will enter the bloodstream. The ivermectin in Heartgard will kill these larvae, preventing them from maturing into adult heartworms.
Dosage Chart: How Much Heartgard Should You Give Your Dog?
Heartgard is available in different strengths to suit dogs of various weights. The dosage chart below can help you determine the appropriate strength of Heartgard for your dog:
Ivermectin Content (mg)
Pyrantel Content (mg)
Up to 25 lbs (11 kg)
26 to 50 lbs (12-22 kg)
51 to 100 lbs (23-45 kg)
Over 101.0 lbs (46 kg)
Administer the appropriate combination of chewable
It is essential to follow the recommended dosage chart and consult your veterinarian if you are unsure about the appropriate strength for your dog.
Side effects of Heartgard
While Heartgard is generally safe and well-tolerated by most dogs, there are possible side effects in some cases. The following are some of the potential side effects of Heartgard:
- Loss of appetite
- Allergic reactions, including itching, hives, and swelling
- Seizures (in rare cases)
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog after administering Heartgard, it is important to contact your veterinarian immediately. Sometimes, your vet may recommend switching to a different heartworm prevention medication.
It is also essential to follow the recommended dosage chart and ensure that your dog is not allergic to any ingredients in Heartgard. Your veterinarian can help you determine if Heartgard is the right choice for your dog and guide you on proper dosing and potential side effects.
Heartgard is an effective and convenient way to protect your dog from heartworm disease. By following the recommended dosage and frequency, you can ensure that your furry friend is safe and healthy. If you have any questions or concerns about using Heartgard, it is always best to consult your veterinarian.