Dogs are more than just pets; they are members of the family. As pet owners, we want to ensure that our furry friends are healthy and happy. One of the ways we can do this is by protecting them from parasites such as fleas and ticks. Afoxolaner is a medication that can be used to prevent and treat these parasites in dogs.
For more information on flea and tick control for dogs, check our website on flea and tick prevention for dogs.
What is Afoxolaner?
Afoxolaner is an insecticide and acaricide used to control dogs' fleas and ticks. It disrupts the parasite's nervous system, causing paralysis and death. Afoxolaner is available as a chewable tablet given to dogs once a month. However, it is a prescription medication, so it can only be obtained from a veterinarian. To learn more about different flea and tick medication types, check out our article on flea and tick medication for dogs on our website.
Afoxolaner is used to prevent and treat flea and tick infections in dogs. It also helps to prevent Lyme disease. Afoxolaner is distributed throughout a dog's body after ingested to a dog. When a dog is affected by fleas and ticks, they are exposed to the medicine and killed while their blood meal.
Occasionally, afoxolaner can treat demodectic mange, ear mite infestations, sarcoptic mange, sand fly infestations, and cutaneous myiasis in dogs. Afoxolaner can even treat ear mites in cats and Peacock louse in birds.
Common brand names
- Nexgard Spectra For Dogs (Ingredients - Afoxolaner and Milbemycin Oxime)
No standard products are available.
Uses of Afoxolaner
Afoxolaner is an ectoparasiticide that uses for the treatment of fleas and ticks. The ticks differ from region to region.
EU: castor bean ticks (Ixodes ricinus), brown dog ticks (Rhipicephalus sanguineus), and Marsh ticks (Dermacentorreticulatus).
USA: black-legged/deer ticks (Ixodes scapularis), American dog ticks (Dermacentorvariabilis), brown dog ticks (Rhipicephalus sanguineus), Lone star ticks (Amblyommaamericanum).
AUS: bush ticks (Haemaphysalislongicornis), Paralysis ticks (Ixodes holocyclus), brown dog ticks (Rhipicephalus sanguineus).
How Does Afoxolaner Work?
Afoxolaner works by penetrating the parasite's exoskeleton and disrupting its nervous system. The medication is absorbed into the bloodstream and distributed throughout the body. Fleas and ticks that come into contact with the treated dog will ingest the medicine and die.
Method of application
Afoxolaner for dogs should administer orally, supplied as a flavored chew.
The Benefits of Afoxolaner
There are many benefits to using Afoxolaner to control fleas and ticks on dogs. Some of the most notable benefits include:
- Effective parasite control: Afoxolaner is highly effective at killing fleas and ticks. It can also prevent new infestations from occurring. This is especially important for dogs that spend a lot of time outdoors or in wooded areas, where the risk of tick and flea infestations is higher.
- Long-lasting protection: Afoxolaner provides an entire month of protection against fleas and ticks with just one dose. Pet owners do not have to worry about reapplying the medication as often as they would with other products. This can be very convenient for pet owners who have busy schedules or may need to regularly remember to reapply for medication.
- Easy to administer: Afoxolaner is a chewable tablet that is easy to give to dogs. It is also flavored, which makes it more palatable for dogs. This makes it easy for pet owners to provide their dogs with medication without struggle.
- Safe for dogs: Afoxolaner is safe for dogs when used as directed. It has been approved by the FDA and tested for use in dogs. Pet owners can feel confident using this medication to protect their furry friends from parasites.
- Reduce the chance of disease transmission: Fleas and ticks can transmit diseases to dogs, including Lyme disease, ehrlichiosis, and anaplasmosis. By controlling these parasites with Afoxolaner, you can reduce your dog's risk of contracting these diseases. To learn more about the diseases transmitted by fleas and ticks, check out our article on diseases transmitted by fleas and ticks on our website.
Potential Side Effects
Like any medication, Afoxolaner may cause side effects in some dogs. These side effects are usually mild and may include vomiting, diarrhea, and loss of appetite. However, in rare cases, dogs may experience more severe side effects, such as allergic reactions or seizures. After administerig Afoxolaner to your dog and you notice any unusual symptoms in your dog than please contact your veterinarian immediately.
Afoxolaner is a highly effective medication that can be used to control fleas and ticks on dogs. It is easy to administer, provides long-lasting protection, and is safe for dogs when used as directed. If you are looking for a way to protect your furry friend from parasites, talk to your veterinarian about whether Afoxolaner is the right choice for your dog.
The information provided on this page is for general reference only, and it is not intended to replace veterinary advice or packaging label. You should consult your vet first. Here may not have included all the uses, side effects, brand names, or applications.